American Express is offering a 25% transfer bonus to Alitalia MilleMiglia through October 31.
Alitalia has an awesomely good award chart for many destinations as I’ve covered in the past. Here are some of their business class partner redemption rates:
- North America-North Asia 90,000 miles roundtrip
- North America-Southeast Asia 95,000 miles roundtrip
- North America-India 100,000 miles roundtrip
- North America-Southern South America 75,000 miles roundtrip
- North America-Tahiti 90,000 miles roundtrip
To be sure Alitalia’s telephone agents are downright awful. Routing rules aren’t super tough but also aren’t generous, you can have three flights in each direction and open jaws have to be in the same region. A stopover is permitted on partner awards but your stay in the stopover city has to be shorter than at your destination. They add fuel surcharges to awards.
For Alitalia flights one way awards are 60% the cost of a roundtrip. They also offer extra miles awards for additional (not last seat) availability.
I would not transfer unless you’re going to redeem these miles right away. I’d expect that the program will be devaluing in the next couple of years.