News and notes from around the interweb:
- airberlin’s real problem: “airlines that fool around with grammar by using infantile lower or mixed case branding in their titles are doomed”
- Club1 Hotels is a new site offering wholesale hotel rates. It’s normally paid membership but for a limited time they’re giving free one year memberships if you sign up now. And they’re giving away $500 in hotel credit to a reader of this blog. With far fewer entries than usual so far, odds are good, so enter.
- American’s flight attendants say their new uniforms are causing hives
- United didn’t serve alcohol in its Newark clubs on Wednesday or Thursday due to challenges confirming the status of their liquor licenses (they had not been ordered to stop serving). The airline works with Sodexho to manage and staff its clubs. Newark presents some unique challenges because the airport crosses more than one jurisdiction (it’s only partially in the City of Newark). An airline spokesperson told me last night,
We temporarily stopped serving alcoholic beverages in our Newark Airport United Club locations Wednesday while we work with our vendor to ensure regulatory authorities had fully approved the renewal license applications we submitted several months ago. We hope to resume service during the day tomorrow and apologize to our customers for the inconvenience.
Update: Alcohol service has resumed in United’s Newark clubs.
- American Express has trademarked the name ‘Tier One’ can’t wait to find out what that is..!
- Former United Airlines pilot sentenced to prison for posting nude photos of ex-girlfriend online. This is not the United pilot who was arrested for running brothels all over Houston.
- Standard hotels will sell you any room for the price of a regular room. Time for great deals on suites. (HT: Jonathan W.) Book by October 6 for stays through March 31 using promo code DIBS.