Delta rarely runs promotions anymore, since the lead up to their going to revenue-based mileage earning.
They do have a very tight relationship with Starwood, though — Crossover Rewards — which offers Starwood points for Delta flights and Delta miles for Starwood stays, and even status benefits equivalent to the lowest tier at both companies.
And yet there’s one area in which Delta cheats a bit on Starwood. Every year they continue to run a promotion that lets you earn credit towards elite status with SkyMiles via Hilton stays. For instance, here’s their (more lucrative) 2010 offer, along with 2012 and 2013. They ran it in 2014 and 2015 as well. It usually comes out like clockwork at this time of year, too.
And it’s back (registration required):
- Note: Make sure to select Delta as your preferred airline partner in your HHonors profile to qualify for this offer and that you have ‘Points & Miles’ selected as your HHonors earning style
- For each stay, members will earn 250 MQMs after their second night
- Plus members will earn double standard SkyMiles for their stay
- When: October 3 – December 31, 2016
- Sign-Up: Register here prior to check-in
It’s interesting that Starwood status can get you better treatment with Delta, but not help towards Delta status. While Hilton stays can get you help towards Delta status.
Of course this promotion won’t waive minimum spend requirements for that status.
(HT: The Gate)