This is better than their usual sales. In April they offered 30% off but for economy only and this sale is on economy and premium economy redemptions.
- Last fall they offered 20% off).
- In February they did discount both economy and premium economy 30%.
- At the beginning of last year they offered 25% off
- And they offered 25% off economy and premium economy two years ago
- Four and a half years ago they even offered 50% off via a 2-for-1 sale.
30% isn’t the best they’ve ever offered, but it’s a good sale. This offer makes East Coast – London economy awards just 24,500 miles round trip but taxes and fees can be as much as ~ $345. The offer is good one-way — so from 12,250 miles — or round trip.
I see premium economy as the real sweet spot here, from 19,250 miles each way plus taxes and Newspeak fees.
These are routes, mileage costs, and estimated taxes and fees:
|To/from UK||Economy||Taxes, fees, surcharges from*|
|Orlando (from Manchester)||29,750||£234|
|Orlando (from Glasgow)||29,750||£230|
|Atlanta (from Manchester)||24,500||£259|
|Las Vegas (from London Gatwick)||29,750||£230|
|Las Vegas (from Manchester)||29,750||£230|
|San Francisco (from Manchester)||29,750||£236|
|Antigua (from London Gatwick)||31,500||£243|
|Barbados (from London Gatwick)||31,500||£211|
|Barbados (from Manchester)||31,500||£214|
|Havana (from London Gatwick)||31,500||£205|
|Grenada (from London Gatwick)||31,500||£228|
|Montego Bay (from London Gatwick)||31,500||£273|
|St Lucia (from London Gatwick)||31,500||£213|
|Cancun (from London Gatwick)||31,500||£255|
|Tobago (from London Gatwick)||31,500||£216|
|Varadero (from London Gatwick)||31,500||£207|
|To/from UK||Premium Economy||Taxes, fees, surcharges from*|
|Orlando (from Manchester)||49,000||£390|
|Orlando (from Glasgow)||49,000||£391|
|Atlanta (from Manchester)||38,500||£415|
|Las Vegas (from London Gatwick)||49,000||£412|
|Las Vegas (from Manchester)||49,000||£412|
|San Francisco (from Manchester)||49,000||£420|
|Antigua (from London Gatwick)||49,000||£379|
|Barbados (from London Gatwick)||49,000||£347|
|Barbados (from London Manchester)||49,000||£346|
|Havana (from London Gatwick)||49,000||£341|
|Grenada (from London Gatwick)||49,000||£364|
|Montego Bay (from London Gatwick)||49,000||£409|
|St Lucia (from London Gatwick)||49,000||£349|
|Cancun (from London Gatwick)||49,000||£367|
|Tobago (from London Gatwick)||49,000||£352|
|Varadero (from London Gatwick)||49,000||£345|
Considering there aren’t a ton of Great Uses of Virgin Atlantic miles, there is some real value here (offset by taxes and fees).
Virgin Atlantic is a points transfer partner of American Express Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, and Citi ThankYou Rewards. However even with this discount I wouldn’t consider trading those points currencies for economy redemptions given the taxes and fees on the award, but premium economy may make more sense in my opinion.
Terms and conditions:
Flying Club Terms and Conditions apply.
The 30% reduction in mileage offer must be booked between 6 September 2016 and 22 September 2016. For best availability, be sure to avoid our busy holiday periods.
1. Flying Club reward flights are subject to the payment of applicable taxes, charges, fees and surcharges. The exact amount will be advised at the time of booking online or via our Contact Centres.
2. Offer valid for travel in Economy and Premium Economy Cabin Classes.
3. This offer is for full mileage reward seats only, and cannot be combined with Miles Plus Money fares.
4. CombiFares are permitted.
5. The 30% reduction in mileage offer can be booked on different routes as long as both routes are included in the promotion e.g. London – San Francisco and Los Angeles to London.
6. Once the booking has been ticketed, amending the route is not permitted.
7. Date changes can be made (normal charges apply).
8. Credit card upgrades can be applied to this offer.
9. All Virgin Atlantic Reward seat travel is strictly subject to availability. Some flights may have no availability on certain routes, and popular dates e.g. weekends, school and public holidays.
10. Passengers are not entitled to earn Flying Club miles or tier points.
(HT: Head for Points)