News and notes from around the interweb:
- Should you get off the grid while you’re on vacation? I love traveling to Asia, the ~ 12 hour time difference helps me disconnect while staying connected. I check email first thing in the morning before my wife wakes up, getting back to people before the end of the business day. Then I’m not bothered or thinking about work for the rest of the day. And I’m not overwhelmed when I return to the office, losing all the benefits I’d accrued on holiday.
- American is deferring their A350 deliveries. On their earnings call Friday morning they reported that they entered into an agreement with Airbus on July 18th. Their first of 22 Airbus A350 XWB aircraft won’t come until late 2018 — 2 will arrive in ’18, and 5 each in 2019-2022. On average each aircraft delivery is pushed 26 months into the future. They call this ‘capacity flexibility’ and report that the deferrals didn’t cost them anything because the A350s are in high demand.
- Malaysia Airlines is is eliminating their 15% online award redemption discount August 1. (This discount, like Singapore’s, applied only to flights on their own aircraft.)
- American Airlines is replacing coffee pots to reduce maintenance delays
- 10 etiquette tips for surviving coach
- Why Concorde Failed (HT: Cranky Flier)