News and notes from around the interweb:
- Adorable ducklings were stuck in Norfolk airport’s storm drain
- Suspicion and animosity between the French and Dutch sides of Air France KLM. So what else is new?
- Etihad is back offering extra baggage allowance and bonus miles for moonlight check-in
- Payless Car Rental: Pay less. At least upfront. We’ll get you later
- As I’ve continually argued, if you want to keep people safe get them through airport security quickly. Don’t create bottlenecks at the checkpoint, that creates targets. The same holds for check-in,
A RAND Corporation analysis of Los Angeles International Airport found that decreasing the wait at baggage check-in to one minute from 15 minutes could reduce the number of deaths in a bomb attack by more than half.
- Missed connections: You were flying Southwest from Portland to Phoenix. She fell asleep on your shoulder. (HT: toomanybooks)
- Timelapse painting of an Emirates A380 in LA Dodgers livery.
The colossal nose-to-tail paint job took nearly 6,000 man hours and seven coats of paint weighing more than 2,400 pounds.
…The actual painting took seven days and required seven coats: a primer, a sealer, three coats of Emirates’ trademark “Brilliant White” color and two layers of a glossy clear coat.
…Emirates says that its A380 need to be repainted after every seven or eight years of service.