News and notes from around the interweb:
- Free Uber rides with grocery or beer purchase (valid for existing Uber users)
- Marriott’s small business co-brand card now offers Gold elite status after $50,000 spend. There’s a really big offer for the card too.
- American Airlines is scheduled to detonate its former headquarters building today – a building they first used in 1983, that was later used by Sabre but is currently empty – to make room for building a new headquarters building. (HT: Jenn T.)
- Two quotes why Qatar Airways CEO Akbar al-Baker is the greatest, most absurd showman in aviation.
“We are not going to introduce premium economy. The comfort we give you in economy is much more than premium economy,” Al Baker told journalists at a news conference this week.
…At the same time, the airline has been busy developing a new business class seat which, according to Al Baker, “will put our competitors in disarray wondering how they will compete.”
- American Airlines paying $4 million to hire help for the TSA
- Only in a Washington DC airport will you find an advertising kiosk for FAA capital spending.
- No surge pricing from Uber or Lyft, why are these people waiting in a taxi queue? (Sadly there are now waits for cabs in Austin, since there are only 900 taxis while there were over 10,000 Uber and Lyft drivers mostly now out of work.)