Virgin Atlantic is offering 30% off economy awards booked by May 11.
So 30% isn’t the best they’ve ever offered, but it’s a good sale. This offer makes East Coast – London economy awards just 24,500 miles round trip but taxes and fees can be as much as ~ $500. The offer is good one-way — so from 12,250 miles — or round trip.
These are routes, mileage costs, and estimated taxes and fees:
|To/from UK||Economy||Taxes, fees, charges and carrier – imposed surcharges|
|ORLANDO (from Gatwick)||29,750||$403|
|ORLANDO (from Manchester)||29,750||$409|
|ORLANDO (from Glasgow)||29,750||$404|
|ATLANTA (from Manchester)||24,500||$409|
|LAS VEGAS (from Gatwick)||29,750||$403|
|LAS VEGAS (from Manchester)||29,750||$409|
|ANTIGUA (from Gatwick)||31,500||$341|
|BARBADOS (from Gatwick)||31,500||$298|
|BARBADOS (from Manchester)||31,500||$303|
|CUBA (from Gatwick)||31,500||$291|
|GRENADA (from Gatwick)||31,500||$320|
|MONTEGO BAY (from Gatwick)||31,500||$358|
|ST LUCIA (from Gatwick)||31,500||$302|
|CANCUN (from Gatwick)||31,500||$361|
|TOBAGO (from Gatwick)||31,500||$306|
For the economy passenger that has a lot of Virgin miles, considering there aren’t a ton of Great Uses of Virgin Atlantic miles, there is some value (offset by taxes and fees).
Virgin Atlantic is a points transfer partner of both American Express Membership Rewards and Chase Ultimate Rewards. However even with this discount I wouldn’t consider trading those points currencies for economy redemptions given the taxes and fees on the award, but premium economy may make more sense in my opinion.
Terms and conditions:
Reward Seat Sale Terms and Conditions
^The 30% reduction in mileage offer must be booked between April 22 and May 11, 2016. For best availability, be sure to avoid our busy holiday periods.
1. Flying Club reward flights are subject to the payment of applicable taxes, charges, carrier-imposed fees and surcharges. The exact amount will be advised at the time of booking online or via our Contact Centres.
2. Offer valid for travel in Economy.
3. This offer is for full mileage reward seats only, and cannot be combined with Miles Plus Money fares.
4. CombiFares are permitted.
5. The 30% reduction in mileage offer can be booked on different routes as long as both routes are included in the promotion e.g. London – San Francisco and Los Angeles to London.
6. Once the booking has been ticketed, amending the route is not permitted.
7. Date changes can be made (normal charges apply).
8. Credit card upgrades can be applied to this offer.
9. All Virgin Atlantic Reward seat travel is strictly subject to availability. Some flights may have no availability on certain routes, and popular dates e.g. weekends, school and public holidays.
10. Passengers are not entitled to earn Flying Club miles or tier points.