News and notes from around the interweb:
- President Obama has favored Franklin Barbecue in Austin. Controversially, he cut the line there. Michelle Obama, on the other hand (and for all of her focus on healthy eating), chose Micklethwait Craft Meats for barbecue while in town to speak at South By Southwest this year. Incidentally road closures during her visit made it difficult for me to get to the gym…
- The FAA reauthorization bill, as it currently stands, has a kind of sort of version of the Families Fly Together Act included.
If the current version of the bill passes, airlines will be required to notify families if adjoining seats are available for free when they’re booking. If they aren’t available for free, the airline will have to notify the family about the airline’s policy regarding booking consecutive seats for an additional fee or if seats are assigned at check-in.
- Chipotle employee fired for criticizing the company on twitter really likes his new American Airlines union job. (Not The Onion)
- Register to earn double Starwood points when dining at one of their hotels while not staying as a guest through June 15. (HT: Loyalty Lobby)
- Virgin Atlantic feels sharp criticism on social media over alleged anti-Chinese racist incident
- British Airways Johannesburg – London flight flooded when a trolley smashed into a water pipe. Blankets all over the floors was the least of their problems. (HT: Tocqueville)
- Is it weird that I was just ridiculously excited getting this piece of junk mail on Thursday… and had to remind myself of all the reasons that – no – I cannot process my own mileage-earning credit card transactions to myself?