News and notes from around the interweb:
- Forbes picks up on my blog post about American Airlines predeparture beverages as well as other online discussions of the issue. American responds,
While some flight attendants try to anticipate customer needs and set up frequently requested beverages in advance, such as water and orange juice, customers have a choice of any available beverage catered on the flight. Beverages served as part of the pre-departure service in our premium cabins include any spirits, wine, beer or non-alcoholic drinks.”
American did note there are legitimate reasons flight attendants can’t always offer PDBs, including late catering, various state, city and country regulations regarding serving alcoholic beverages on the ground, as well as FAA regulations during aircraft movement.
- Over the holidays passengers missed flights in Denver as security lines stretched 2-4 hours. TSA did not match staffing to passenger volumes, flight schedules, or weather (which causes delays that bunch of passengers). Via Sam K. the TSA (which originally blamed everyone and everything but themselves) acknowledges fault in a ‘mistakes were made’ kind of way.
- American and South American oneworld member LATAM will seek regulatory approval for a joint business venture which lets them coordinate schedules and pricing. Until we see what new routes would come out of this, that wouldn’t exist otherwise, it’s not clear the extent to which there will be any consumer benefit that follows.
- Woman suing Tortas Frontera at O’Hare over broken margarita glass she says hurt her
- Fly on Air Canada ‘flex’ fares and higher within Canada or between Canada and the US, Mexico and the Caribbean on tickets purchased by March 15 for travel between January 14 and April 30 (except for March 24-29) to earn up to 25,000 Aeroplan miles. Registration required.
- Travel and Leisure: “The Best Trips I’ve Paid For With Travel Rewards Points” (Me, Mommy Points and Lucky from One Mile at a Time)
- What happens to food that’s confiscated by US customs?