Hyatt elite status matches and challenges were originally meant to be tools for Hyatt’s sales team to use in bringing business over. As they became public in social media Gold Passport publicly acknowledged and welcomed members into them.
A little over a year ago, Hyatt eliminated their fast track elite status methods. Then they brought them back as tools for Sales only. That’s because only a small percentage of people went on to maintain the status they were granted through these offers.
In June Hyatt began offering fast track to Diamond status again but without granting Diamond status during the challenge period.
They were way too generous. Initially they were comping Diamond status through February 2017 to anyone who sent in an eligible elite membership card and a statement that showed just one hotel stay. That wasn’t really what they were after. So they started limiting who they’d comp (they were really after Starwood Platinums) and with the overwhelming crush of submissions it was taking a couple of weeks for some members to get a reply.
It’s hard to dispute the strong value of Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond status:
- Hyatt has the best suite upgrade benefit of any chain — offering Diamond members confirmed-at-booking suites valid on any paid rate booked through a Hyatt channel four times a year.
Suite at the Park Hyatt Chennai
- Hyatt has the best top tier breakfast benefit: full restaurant breakfast when no club lounge is available. (And if the club lounge is closed 2500 bonus points, also.) Several Hyatt properties are among the hotels with the very best breakfasts anywhere.
Complimentary Diamond Room Service Breakfast at the Park Hyatt Vendome, Paris
Complimentary Diamond Room Service Breakfast at the Andaz 5th Avenue, New York
Now via The Points Guy the terms of Hyatt’s current status match offer are clear.
- It’s a tool for sales. The match request is supposed to come from a Hyatt hotel.
- It’s open to Starwood elites. Starwood Golds with at least one night in 2015 or so far in 2016 get Hyatt Platinum, and Starwood Platinums with at least 20 nights in 2015 or so far in 2016 get Diamond.
- It’s available through the end of February. Status will last through February 2017.
Starwood elites can still get matches — just talk to a Hyatt hotel to submit the request for you.