United was offering a targeted 75% bonus on purchased miles, but now it appears open to everyone. I received the email this morning:
The bonus is tiered based on the number of miles you buy. You need to buy at least 40,000 to get the full 75% bonus.
The full cost of the largest purchase (85,000 miles) is $3198.13 including taxes and fees. That nets you 148,750 miles at a cost of $0.0215 per mile.
That isn’t the absolute cheapest I’ve seen United sell miles, but it’s not especially far off. Personally for Star Alliance awards the LifeMiles 135% bonus offer tempts me while this one does not — though it’s useful for topping off a United account, and United miles are surely easier to use than LifeMiles.
Terms and conditions
• Promotional offer valid until 11:59 p.m. CT (Chicago local time) on September 30, 2015.
• Miles are available in increments of 1,000 up to a maximum of 85,000 miles.
• Bonus miles will be credited to the recipient’s account when the transaction is complete.
• Bonus miles count towards the 150,000 mile annual limit per account.
• Purchase up to 150,000 miles per account per calendar year.
• Credit card will be billed immediately upon purchase.
• Mileage rates and other fees and offer terms are subject to change.
• Allow 48 hours for miles to process and post to your MileagePlus account.
• Miles are nonrefundable.
• Purchased miles do not count toward MileagePlus Premier® status.
• All MileagePlus Program Rules and terms and conditions apply.
• GST/HST is charged to Canadian residents.
• Powered by Points to purchase United MileagePlus miles. Transaction will appear as ‘Points United Miles’.