News and notes from around the interweb:
- Why Airlines Hate Squished Bugs on Wings: they increase a plane’s fuel burn.
- Preview list is out for the next round of IHG Rewards Club ‘PointBreaks’ 5000 point per night redemptions. They will be available for booking on Monday for stays from July 27 through October 31.
- Inside look at Alaska Airlines’ famous pancake machine.
- Jet passengers cooperate to tie-up drunken, disruptive jackass (HT: Paul H)
- Banned for ‘spitting at cabin crew, stealing wine from the trolley and stripping off’ (HT: Alan H.)
- In the ongoing saga of the Baha Mar bankruptcy, a judge has ruled that the Bahamas won’t recognize the US bankruptcy court proceedings. I suspect this bit of economic nationalism plays well politically, but also that — as a non-expect, so I’d welcome correction — Bahamian bankruptcy law is not as well positioned to manage large-scale reorganizations like this one.
- Airline soft product improvements are reaching economy
- Rumor: China’s largest hotel group eyeing purchase of Starwood