News and notes from around the interweb:
- Just as Skiplagged can help you save money on airfare by helping you find hidden city and throwaway ticketing opportunities, Clever Layover helps piece together airfare savings through buying separate tickets for a single journey, taking advantage of low prices for a given destination from a city other than the one you’re flying out of or to a city other than your final destination. And that doesn’t break airline rules in the process. (HT: Jonathan W.)
- A United Express regional jet landed without its left main landing gear extended at LAX.
- Yesterday I mentioned Malaysia Airlines’ turnaround plan which includes dropping several long haul aircraft. I merely hoped they’d retain their wonderful inflight satay. No word on the satay specifically, but renegotiated contracts will cut Malaysia’s catering costs 20-25%.
- An Etihad Cairo – Abu Dhabi flight diverted to a military base in Dubai after ISIS threats against the plane on twitter. Just last week an Air Arabia flight diverted to the same military base after a false alarm raised by a passenger about the aircraft.
- Preferred Hotel Group iPrefer – 500 Free Points for completing a survey
- Iran has purchased 15 civilian aircraft to go into service and two more for spare parts over the past three months, despite ongoing US sanctions which forbid aircraft sales. (Restrictions on the sale of spare parts have previously been eased.)