I didn’t notice my account get its status upgraded, though it appears on Award Wallet (and now that I log in) as though it already has been.
I received a direct mail piece from Marriott Rewards giving me Gold elite status:
I was already a Marriott Rewards silver elite member, the lowest status I hold with any of the major chains. I’m currently:
- Hyatt Diamond. This was earned on both stays and nights.
- Starwood Platinum. This was earned based on 50 nights.
- Hilton HHonors Diamond. This was given as a targeted offer to American AAdvantage Executive Platinum members
- IHG Rewards Club Platinum. This is complimentary based on my non-renewing Intercontinental Ambassador status (which was itself complimentary based on my non-renewing Royal Ambassador status).
Don’t get me wrong, Marriott Gold means lounge access or breakfast (but not at Courtyard properties, and not at resorts) and that’s appreciated.
But here’s why I don’t want it:
- The status is only for three months and I have no specific plans to stay with Marriott.
- In the past you could only have one status challenge every 18 months.
Since this status challenge wasn’t requested it might not preclude me from taking another one. But I’d rather not have it on my record.
I don’t want a status challenge at a random time when the chain chooses to offer it. I want a status challenge when it is convenient to me and I can make use of it and even stay enough to retain status.