News and notes from around the interweb:
- Starbucks gift cards earn ‘Stars’ so you can earn free drinks just buy loading your app. But by buying your gift cards from Starbucks, rather than an office supply store, you’re giving up 5x points-earning. So only do this on a ‘first Friday’ with a Chase Sapphire Preferred..
- Unions at Aena, the Spanish airport operator, have called for 25 days of strikes to be taken between February 11 and August 25 in protest of the company’s partial privatization. On the one hand, strikes at European airports and airlines make me shrug at this point. On the other hand, this could get ugly.
- Kayak will now search and sell Cuba travel.
Kayak users can search for more than 300 hotels in Cuba, but for now, the site’s flight-search results between the U.S. and Cuba only show connecting flights through third countries. And even those options are limited. For instance, for a round trip between New York and Havana next month, Kayak shows only a $1,443 itinerary operated by Copa Holdings SA and Cayman Airways via Panama City.
- United’s gates at Dallas Love Field will go to Southwest. United gets paid, and the DOJ’s Antitrust division has apparently signed off…
- You can join the 40,000+ people who see these deals and analysis every day — sign up to receive posts by email (just one e-mail per day) or subscribe to the RSS feed. It’s free. You can also follow me on Twitter for the latest deals. Don’t miss out!