Short overnight flights, like flying Eastbound East Coast to Europe, can be frustrating. You leave at night and arrive in the morning and have a full day ahead of you, but to really take advantage of it you need to sleep.
(Here’s how I beat jet lag.)
New York, DC, or Boston to London or even Paris can take less than 7 hours. You want:
- A fully flat seat in business class
- All aisle access so no one is climbing over anyone else and waking them
- Meal service to end quickly, and lights out quickly, so you can sleep.
I don’t want to be woken for breakfast, the second meal on a short overnight isn’t going to be impressive (though I’ll try it if I’m up anyway).
I don’t take a Bose noise cancelling headset when flying American Airlines business class (or first class) — I bring my own headset, and the flight attendants collect theirs way too early, often nearly an hour before landing.
The idea here is to maximize the amount of time you can sleep. A two hour meal service? Absolutely killer.
Starting this weekend, Qantas’ A330 business class offers a new sleeper service out of Singapore to Sydney, Brisbane, and Melbourne.
- Their seats are certified to allow recline during taxi, takeoff, and landing.
- You can let Qantas know in the lounge before flight and they’ll have the seat pre-reclined with mattress and duvet laid out and pillow on the seat.
- You’ll already have your amenity kit and bottle of water there as well.
They’re also muting the cabin lighting right from the start. So you can eat in the lounge, board, and start to get comfortable for sleeping immediately.
This ‘Sleep Sooner’ program will extend from the new A330s to the rest of Qantas’ international Qantas flights over the next few months.
This would be a fantastic program for airlines to invest in for short transatlantic flights..
- You can join the 40,000+ people who see these deals and analysis every day — sign up to receive posts by email (just one e-mail per day) or subscribe to the RSS feed. It’s free. You can also follow me on Twitter for the latest deals. Don’t miss out!