I like booking airline reservations through online travel sites like Orbitz, rather than directly, because it allows me to quintuple dip:
- My usual frequent flyer miles
- My usual points from credit card spend on the purchase
- A rebate for going through a shopping portal
- The online booking site’s rewards.
Right now booking airline reservations through Orbitz has a nice bonus: Orbitz Rewards will give you $20 in credit towards hotel stays for each flight you book through January 31.
You’ll need to be logged in, as an Orbitz Rewards member, and see the $20 offer on your itinerary to receive it. It will only show up on flights that are $50 or more, so you aren’t going to buy flights just for the bonus.
Orbitz lauched their current rewards program in October 2013 (see “The New Orbitz Rewards Program Creates Another Quintuple Dipping Opportunity for Booking Travel”, and it’s the most lucrative of the online travel agency rewards programs (far better, in my view, than the current iteration of Expedia+ Rewards, which has been devalued and devalued).
- The Orbitz program generally offers up to 5% back on hotel bookings and 1% on flights (for your first $5000 in purchases in a year).
- You get a $25 credit towards a hotel night just for joining.
In addition, clicking over to Orbitz via a shopping portal will give you additional rewards.
- Ebates gives you $1.80 per airline reservation, up to 3% on hotels, and $2.80 per car reservation.
- BigCrumbs currently gets you $1.80 per airline reservation and up to 4.2% back on other travel (pre-paid hotels are at that highest tier).
- MrRebates currently gets you $3 per airline reservation and 3% back on other non-car bookings.
(HT for the $20 promo: Loyalty Lobby)
Update: Edited post title within 5 minutes of publishing the post. It wasn’t accurate, and I hadn’t had my coffee yet..
- You can join the 40,000+ people who see these deals and analysis every day — sign up to receive posts by email (just one e-mail per day) or subscribe to the RSS feed. It’s free. You can also follow me on Twitter for the latest deals. Don’t miss out!