News and notes from around the interweb:
- The ANA website has been indispensable as a place to search for award space on Star Alliance partners. It’s had partner space the longest, and has generally been the most accurate. Four and a half years ago they clamped down on folks without any ANA miles using it to search space to put together awards. But there’s a simple workaround. Here’s a walkthrough of the workaround with graphics and arrows.
- This weekend only: 20% off Virgin America flights between December 3 and December 16.
- The rebirth of Peoplexpress was a very bad idea, and the airline shut down. How many tax dollars went to subsidizing it? Hardly the biggest waste ever — Midway Airlines had shut down before 9-11, but all airlines got federal payouts based on their prior traffic, so Midway got some too and used it for a short-lived attempted relaunch.
- Buying ‘service animal’ vests and putting them on your dog when you travel. Pets in cabin are permitted, but they’re even more permitted and can come out of their travel bag if they’re for emotional support…
- You can join the 40,000+ people who see these deals and analysis every day — sign up to receive posts by email (just one e-mail per day) or subscribe to the RSS feed. It’s free. You can also follow me on Twitter for the latest deals. Don’t miss out!