Citibank is reducing the number of points they award for checking accounts each month, starting December in December.
The changes go into effect with statement periods that begin December 17 (December 31 for Citigold customers).
Here’s the current points-earning table for Citi’s checking accounts:
And here’s the new table showing how many fewer points will be earned each month:
They’re reducing earning right after making the points more valuable. If you also have a Citi Thank You Premier or Prestige credit card then the points you earn transfer to:
- Air France-KLM
- Asia Miles
- Etihad Airways Guest
- EVA Air Infinity MileageLands
- Garuda Indonesia GarudaMiles
- Hilton HHonorsTM
- Malaysia Airlines Enrich
- Qatar Airways Privilege Club
- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
- Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus
In general checking accounts have become less profitable for banks in a post-Dodd Frank world, so not surprising to see those accounts become less rewarding. But I never love to see fewer points.
- You can join the 40,000+ people who see these deals and analysis every day — sign up to receive posts by email (just one e-mail per day) or subscribe to the RSS feed. It’s free. You can also follow me on Twitter for the latest deals. Don’t miss out!