.. this started as, and in many ways, just remains my personal blog. That lots of folks join in and read, for which I’m extremely grateful.
With that I offer News and notes from around the interweb:
- Malaysia Airlines plans to lay off 30% of its workforce and downsize some routes as part of restructuring. Declaring that you plan to fire your CEO in a year though doesn’t seem like a great strategy for having motivated leadership when you need it. (HT: Alan H.)
- Aeroflot wants a new jingle. (HT: Len M.)
- I was on MSNBC Wednesday just before noon Eastern talking reclining seats. A short, live interview, I didn’t find the clip online. It sort of scares me to see the photo that >Mommy Points tweeted, though. I seem to have odd TV impressions, I hope I don’t make those faces when I chat miles, points and travel in person!
- I was also on NPR’s Marketplace Wednesday talking Orbitz vs. American Airlines and US Airways. Most of the interview I was explaining the economics of online travel agencies, and the crux of the dispute. They liked this one quote to end their piece, though:
Gary Leff writes the View From the Wing. Here’s how he describes the situation: “This is a lose-lose if it goes on,” he says. “It’s a do-what-I-want-or-I’ll-shoot-myself kind of a scenario.”
It reminds me of that scene from Blazing Saddles…
- Delta will no longer allow you to make a same-day confirmed change from a connecting flight to a non-stop flight. Jerks.
- Departures magazine (subscription required I think) carries this take of mine on Emirates:
- You can join the 40,000+ people who see these deals and analysis every day — sign up to receive posts by email (just one e-mail per day) or subscribe to the RSS feed. It’s free. You can also follow me on Twitter for the latest deals. Don’t miss out!