And yet I just had to update my passport number in my Global Entry profile. I almost forgot to do it, so it seemed like — though this will be obvious to some, and too obscure for others — worth sharing.
I’ve loved having Global Entry.
- Re-entering the U.S. is quick and easy. Not only do I skip the immigration queue (which can be quite long arriving at Washington Dulles around 3pm), but also the customs queue too (it gets really long in Miami, since everyone really is smuggling in drugs).
- I get TSA PreCheck every time. I used to get it most of the time flying American where my elite status flagged me as unlikely to be a threat. But now I get it all the time flying American, and also other airlines since I add my ‘Known Traveler’ number to my reservations.
It saves time every week. And I got the signup fee rebated with my American Express Platinum card.
You’d think though that a government system designed to track and analyze you well enough to know you aren’t a threat would know when the government issued a new passport to you. You wouldn’t have to tell the government the passport number it just gave you. But you do.
- You have to log on to GOES (“Global Online Enrollment System”)
- You created a username and password when applying for Global Entry. Both of those are, fortunately, recoverable.
- Choose ‘Update Documents’ on the left hand side of the screen. It actually took me quite awhile to figure out that I didn’t want ‘Change Profile’ or ‘Manage Membership’. That’s where you’re able to change your passport details or your drivers license details as-needed.
You need to keep your details up to date. And you’re also going to need to re-apply any time within a year of your Global Entry expiring. So you’ll return to the GOES website. That’s the function ‘Manage Membership’ will be used for. They may or may not make you do an interview again.
- You can join the 40,000+ people who see these deals and analysis every day — sign up to receive posts by email (just one e-mail per day) or subscribe to the RSS feed. It’s free. You can also follow me on Twitter for the latest deals. Don’t miss out!