News and notes from around the interweb:
- My post yesterday which revealed President Obama’s choice in credit cards drew this reaction on twitter: Pro tip: Don’t pose with your credit card when standing in front of photographers. The replies are worth the read.
- Two months ago I explained that you can have top tier Diamond status from Hyatt with very little effort. And while we know that Diamond trials will not be going away, Running with Miles speculates that they could be changing. Perhaps trial Diamonds members won’t get confirmed suite upgrades in the future until they’ve completed their challenge?
- The Marriott Plus Points program (up to 2000 free points per month), which was just introduced in May, has been gutted already.
- Etihad is launching San Francisco – Abu Dhabi service in November. That flight will initially be serviced by a Jet Airways 777. The UAE airline will serve San Francisco, Los Angeles, Dallas, Chicago, Washington Dulles, New York JFK, and Toronto from North America (Toronto and Chicago flights do not offer a first class cabin). In my experience availability is outstanding.
- My Conde Nast Traveler piece on packing tips picked up by Huffington Post
- With foreign airlines fleeing Venezuela as the government holds their cash, the country picks now as the time to add a new Caracas airport tax. To pay for a new air conditioner.
- You can join the 40,000+ people who see these deals and analysis every day — sign up to receive posts by email (just one e-mail per day) or subscribe to the RSS feed. It’s free. You can also follow me on Twitter for the latest deals. Don’t miss out!