Hilton HHonors Gold is available for sale on eBay.
I love that it is advertised with ‘Free Shipping’.
The ‘buy it now’ price is $30, and apparently as I write this 126 have been sold.
I’d guess that the status is actually worth more than $30, that the price incorporates a discount for risk — you can’t actually, legitimately, buy Hilton HHonors status on eBay. Hilton could ‘win’ an auction to identify the seller, and then among other things press that seller or otherwise discern the identities of all buyers.
And of course there’s some risk (that seller reputation is supposed to mitigate, but can be gamed) simply accompanying any purchase on eBay.
I also see the status as worth more than $30 because Hilton’s Gold status is the best all-around mid-tier hotel status, good for modest upgrades, free internet, and free breakfast in a hotel chain with a massive footprint. My general advice is to stay with Hyatt or Starwood, but maintain easy Hilton status for those times your preferred chain doesn’t have a hotel where you need to stay (yes, still).
The price is presumably driven down as well because the status is simply easy to get.
- It was offered free to American Express Platinum cardholders at the end of 2013.
- It was included in Milepoint Premium Membership this past year.
- Asking for a Diamond challenge, and then not completing it, gets you Gold.
- The simplest — and current as well as totally ‘above board’ — way to get Hilton Gold is to just sign up for their credit card. The annual fee on the Hilton Reserve card is $85, but comes with 2 free weekend nights at almost any Hilton property in the world after meeting minimum spend, and a $100 statement credit with your first qualifying Hilton spend.
I think the credit card is the better approach, but I’m curious how the seller has access to so many Gold status account upgrades.
- You can join the 40,000+ people who see these deals and analysis every day — sign up to receive posts by email (just one e-mail per day) or subscribe to the RSS feed. It’s free. You can also follow me on Twitter for the latest deals. Don’t miss out!