Frequent flyer and frequent guest programs don’t have the only loyalty currencies that devalue.
So – it seems – do blood banks.
And it turns out they even use the same marketing language to explain their changes. The second paragraph below is priceless.
Blood bank points expire, too. Because even non-profits understand “breakage.”
While redemption rates are increasing in the New York Blood Center’s program, at least earn rates stay the same, and
elite status bonuses frequent donor bonuses remain intact.
And they are giving about three weeks’ notice of the changes. So some travel loyalty programs could learn a thing or two from this blood donation center. (Then again, being a member of a few of those hotel programs that make changes without notice is like getting blood from a stone…)
With thanks to an anonymous reader:
Thank you for being a blood donor. While volunteer donors like you typically do not expect any special recognition, we created our Donor Advantage Program in 2008 to encourage people to donate more frequently and to thank them for their support. Since that time, tens of thousands of donors have redeemed their Advantage Program points for gifts and gift cards or have donated their points to charitable organizations. You currently have XX Advantage points.
To help our program better achieve its objectives for frequent donors and to keep it sustainable for the long term we are modifying some features of the program effective July 1, 2014.
1. All whole blood and automated red cell donations made at donor centers will earn 25 bonus Advantage points.
2. The minimum number of Advantage points required in order to be eligible to redeem any points will increase from 600 to 800 points.
3. The number of Advantage points required to receive gifts and gift cards will increase (for example, a $25 gift card will require 600 points instead of 500 points).
4. All Advantage points will expire after 13 months of inactivity (i.e. no donation attempt) instead of 18 months. This requirement will be waived for donors who are temporarily deferred from donating.
5. The Advantage web site will be upgraded to make it easier for you to view gift options and redeem your points. We will also introduce a wider selection of gift card options, including e-gift cards which will allow you to get your gift card code via e-mail and enjoy its benefits immediately.
There will be no changes in the number of base points you earn for each blood, platelet or plasma donation. Frequent donors will continue to earn their calendar year bonus points.
To view your Advantage account, redeem or donate Advantage points, please visit www.mydonoradvantage.com. Your Donor ID number is XXXXXXX.
We value your support in helping to ensure an ample and safe blood supply for patients who are counting on us.
Executive Director, Donor Marketing
New York Blood Center
- You can join the 40,000+ people who see these deals and analysis every day — sign up to receive posts by email (just one e-mail per day) or subscribe to the RSS feed. It’s free. You can also follow me on Twitter for the latest deals. Don’t miss out!