News and notes from around the interweb:
- About 3 months ago I shared the rumor that Silvercar would open in Phoenix, Seattle, and Denver by the end of the second quarter.
And it turns out that Silvercar is now taking reservations for Phoenix.
No word yet on additional cities.
- Virginia has issued a cease and desist order to UberX and Lyft.
@NKaeding passes along contact information for the DMV Commissioner, who sent the letter to be, so you can express displeasure.
- When I wrote this extensive post detailing the arcane American AAdvantage mileage award rules I failed to note that when Qatar Airways joined oneworld a new exception was added — you can fly Qatar from North America to Africa via the Middle East (must both arrive and depart Doha on Qatar, and subject to all of the rest of AAdvantage rules such as that Qatar publish a fare from origin to destination cities).
- Starwood has a new Google Glass app. Still doesn’t make me regret returning mine. (HT: Alan H.)
- Senator Tom Harkin is considering adding an amendment to the Department of Transportation’s funding bill to require airlines to add captions for the hearing impaired to inflight movies.
It seems odd to push for this now as we’re on the cusp of personal entertainment devices overtaking airline-provided video on-demand, although there could certainly be a future for streaming entertainment via inflight servers.
As outdated technologies are replaced, this captioning will be easier, cheaper, and possible to customize to individual user preferences (think iTunes). So this is simultaneously too late, and a little bit too early, but ultimately just codifying what’s going to happen anyway.
- You can join the 40,000+ people who see these deals and analysis every day — sign up to receive posts by email (just one e-mail per day) or subscribe to the RSS feed. It’s free. You can also follow me on Twitter for the latest deals. Don’t miss out!