News and Notes from around the interweb:
- Air Canada’s Aeroplan doesn’t appear to be seeing some Lufthansa transatlantic first class award seats that are available to other Star Alliance programs like ANA and United. I’ve noticed the same thing, and it means that I have to shift away from the Aeroplan website for searching transatlantic award space (which I’m booking using miles in other programs).
- Using Frequent Flyer Miles? You Need a Plan summary of WTOP radio interview I did a week and a half ago.
- Frequent Traveler University in the media. >Mommy Points, Pizza in Motion, and Million Mile Secrets are quotes. Here’s the conclusion:
There’s so much to learn about the miles and points game that it’s just not possible to set it all out in a single online article. But in addition to the basic points outlined here, what you need to know is this: You can learn a lot by reading blogs, you can earn a lot by using the right cards and using them wisely, and you can learn a lot by attending one of the FTU weekends. (They take place in different cities each time, so you may not need to travel far.)
- One year of Travel + Leisure for free.
- How Cheating (and Duffle Bags of Gold) Got Me a First-Class Flight to London: Million Mile Secrets and I are quoted extensively in an article by a former colleague of mine — about the U.S. Mint, mistake fares, buying and selling products for miles, and where you draw the personal line for yourself in taking advantage of loopholes.
- United’s California-based flight attendants share in a million dollar settlement because, although they received all of their pay, their pay stubs weren’t printed in a way that complied with California labor law.
- You can join the 30,000+ people who see these deals and analysis every day — sign up to receive posts by email (just one e-mail per day) or subscribe to the RSS feed. It’s free. You can also follow me on Twitter for the latest deals. Don’t miss out!