News and Notes from Around the Interweb:
- Virgin American is offering up to a 40% bonus on purchased points through May 7. Last month’s 80% offer piqued my interest but I still wasn’t quite a buyer. 40% only makes sense to top off an account with close to enough points for a high value award.
- Australian Frequent Flyer has the scoop on two stackable 15% discounts for flights to and from certain markets. Nearly 30% off of paid business class would be a huge discount (on a still expensive ticket!).
- American is proactively handing out lots of miles to customers who may have been affected by Tuesdays travel disruptions. A non-status colleague traveling on a domestic award ticket was offered 1500 points, reports of Executive Platinums with 7500 point offers, which seems reasonable for their not having sent in complaints but rather getting emails out of the blue (though not necessarily equivalent to the inconveniences experienced in some cases).
- Play-by-play of who offered what, when in the American-US Airways merger discussions.
- Folks have had success getting free Hilton Gold status for over a year using techniques described in this post. There’s been a resurgence of discussion of the offer amongst frequent flyer blogs in recent weeks, putting an Australian address into your Hilton account and generating a valid Visa Infinite credit card number. Live from a Lounge reports that India-based Visa Signature cards are an option as well.