Air France KLM’s Flying Blue program has posted details of its 50% off promo awards for travel in May and June which will be bookable starting April 29.
You can book discounted awards for travel between specific cities in North America and all of Europe. (Promo awards also include travel between Europe and other regions of the world, but here I focus just on North America where most of my readers are — sorry folks reading in South America and Asia!)
The only cities offering discounted business class are:
- Chicago to and from Europe via Amsterdam on KLM
- Montreal to and from Europe via Paris on Air France
- New York JFK to and from Europe via Madrid on Air Europa (twice-weekly service)
These can be booked from the starting cities above to any destination in Europe for 25,000 miles each way.
That is, you can fly from New York or Montreal or Chicago to anywhere in “Europe 1/2/3” which are:
- Europe 1: Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Switzerland, United Kingdom
- Europe 2: Austria, Denmark, Finland, Italy, Malta, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden
- Europe 3: Albania, Algeria, Belarus, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Canary Islands, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Israel, Latvia, Libya, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova, Morocco, Poland, Romania, Western Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Tunisia, Ukraine.
I don’t generally like the rest of the rewards because Flying Blue does add fuel surcharges to most redemptions and even when redeeming coach at half off you’re still paying much of the cost of a coach ticket in ‘taxes and fees’.
But at half off, and if there’s award space, it can even be worthwhile buying a ticket to one of these gateway cities to start the award.
American Express points transfer instantly to Flying Blue, in my experience.