This Slickdeals thread discusses how to make the most of Nationwide Bank Visa Buxx cards: $43 profit and 500 miles for a little bit of effort. (If you pull the cash off the card your profit will be $40.)
Their prepaid Visa cards have a $50 bonus promotion. The initial load of the card needs to be $25 or more, with a maximum of $500, and earns a $50 bonus.
The account setup fee is $5 and loading the card costs $2, so you’ll make $43. You can set the card up to be able to pull out cash, up to $200 per withdrawal at a cost of $1 as well.
- Go to the Visa Buxx page and enroll.
- Sign up as a parent.
- Select yes to the option to withdraw cash from an ATM.
- Once you’ve created an account, you want to “Add New Teen”
- You can just use your own social security number (that you used when creating the card) to add a teen if you wish.
- Use promo code 02010059
- If you just want the cash, load $25 (minimum to earn the bonus). If you want to maximize the miles earned funded by Visa or Mastercard, load $500 (maximum permitted).
- You should receive the card in less than 2 weeks
- Visit an Allpoint ATM and you can withdraw cash off of the card, $1 per withdrawal up to $200 each time.
This is also discussed at Fatwallet.
You can get one card per social security number. And if you want to keep using the card and pulling cash off of it (likely until Nationwide decides to ban you), you could rinse, repeat to earn 500 miles for $5 and a bit of work (the $50 bonus only applies to your first time).
I haven’t done it yet and it won’t be worth it for me on an ongoing basis, but for the first-time use with the promotion code you can earn a net of $40 and 500 miles it might be worth playing with.