The single most lucrative thing you can do to earn large amounts of miles, quickly and easily, is to sign up for credit cards that offer big up front bonuses.
You can cancel the cards within a year if you wish, to avoid paying future annual fees. Just put enough spending on the card to earn the bonus, and then you can get more cards in the future.
I like to sign up for new credit cards about every 90 days. And I like to pick one card from each credit issuer each time. I can also often get one of each personal and business card from each at that time.
I’ve written about managing good credit to fly and stay cheaply all over the world. If you have good credit you can do this, and you often even improve your credit in the process (because more available unused credit is good for your score). The only time I don’t do this is in advance of getting a mortgage or doing a refinance.
So what I thought would be useful would be to highlight some of the better offers that you can take advantage of, it’s the best way possible to replenish your miles.
Since I suggest getting one from each issuer (or one personal plus business card from each), I’ll organize the offers by credit card company. The three biggest for strong mileage offers are American Express, Chase, and Citibank.
- 50,000 Bonus points after $4000 in spending within 3 months
- Double points on travel and restaurant spending
- Points transfer to your choice of United, British Airways, Korean Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Virgin Atlantic Southwest, Hyatt, Ritz-Carlton, Marriott, IHG Rewards Club
- No foreign currency conversion fees
- $0 fee the first year then $95