I’ve got a major first class award redemption coming up, one that’ll definitely be worth a report here, involving some of the better carriers in the world and some amazing hotel rooms, not to mention a very famous restaurant.
But I couldn’t start the award out of my home city, and so I’ve booked a separate ticket to connect up to the start of the award. That always makes me nervous, because in the event of irregular operations that causes a misconnection the onward carrier isn’t responsible for re-routing you.
When I booked my flight, I gave myself better than a six hour connection. And there was a flight an hour after the one that I booked as a backup.
But since that time the ‘backup’ flight has been pulled from the schedule. There’s no good option to get between my city and the start of the award if my flight is cancelled.
And wouldn’t you know it? Weather reports aren’t looking great — forecast in DC is rain and thunder, forecast in my destination city is rain and wind.
Moreover, I’m flying United Express (a regional jet operated by Shuttle America). From Dulles.
So I’m getting nervous…. I can switch to a flight about five hours earlier, so I’m monitoring the weather, hopefully things will clear up, but I really don’t want to give myself a 12 hour layover and I’ve got folks visiting in town before I leave, I’d hate to bail on them as well.
This could get ugly.