As most readers likely know, nearly any online purchase can earn miles provided you enter an online store via an appropriate mileage-earning portal. Andrew Cram’s comparison chart is the best place to start to determine what miles you can earn before clicking on web store. It’s incredibly extensive.
That site catalogs the standard miles on offer. However, various mileage malls sometimes offer bonus miles — especially at holiday shopping time.
This year the bonus offers seem sparse. I recall earning 10,000 bonus American Airlines miles last year for my online shopping through the AAdvantage mall. There’s nothing so exciting available this year.
Here are the bonus offerings I’ve seen so far:
- American is offering double miles shopping at the AAdvantage Online mile and paying with Mastercard. In addition you get 1000 miles when spending $500 or more at the maill on an American Airlines Mastercard. The promo is limited to 25 merchants. Registration is required and offer expires December 31.
- Delta is offering double, triple, quadruple, and quintuple miles as a small handful of merchants plus 100 bonus miles for shopping at a few stores. Offer expires December 31.
- Northwest is offering 1000 bonus miles when you spend $350 or more at the Northwest mall by December 31. Registration is required.
- Alaska‘s offer is similar to Delta’s, with bonus miles at a handful of merchants and 100 bonus miles at a small number as well. Offer expires December 31.
- Sensing a theme, United is offering bonus miles at a handful of merchants and 100 bonus miles at a small number as well. Offer expires December 31.
- Marriott is offering 1000 bonus points when you spend $150 in a single purchase by December 31. There’s also an offer for Marriott elites that allows you to earn up to 5000 bonus points for shopping mall spend.
Inside Flyer ran a cover story in December, 2003 on earning miles for online shopping that’s still worth checking out if you don’t regularly earn miles for all your online purchases.